Monday, May 19, 2008

Sister Spjute's Example

My sister is on her mission in the England, Birmingham Mission. She is youngest and the only one of 8 children in my family to serve a full time mission. She has become an inspiration to us all. I am so proud of her. On May 10th, while out running with her companion, Sis Lindsey Spjute, Lindsey collapsed and died. Many hard moments followed that really tried the faith of my sister.

I went to her funeral today. It was the best and hardest thing I have done in a long time. Sometimes, on this earth, there are people among us that are truly special. I never met Lindsey in life, but she was undoubtedly prepared to meet her Savior.

The lessons I and My family have learned from Lindsey's passing are innumerable. I have found a new love and respect for my little Sister Bannister, who through it all is now serving the Lord more diligently than ever, after living through a trial so hard. I also know how important it is to live life everyday with love, compassion, and energy! Sister Spjute was a diligent Journal writer and her family is finding comfort in her life. I always said that my blog is my journal, but, from Lindsey's example, now I know better.

Life is too short, let go of contention and grab onto the finer things!

4 comments:

The Six Moores said...

Thank you for writing that Bettie
Love you
Amy

Natalie Service said...

Wow! What an experience for both you and your sister. It's amazing the lessons we learn in life, and it seems weird to say, but in death as well. Thank you for sharing this experience and for sharing your feelings about it. It makes me want to live life more fully!

Janee said...

Thank you for sharing that. You guys are in our prayers. We love you!

Burke family said...

I read about that sister on the internet the other day, and I actually thought about her companion and how difficult that must have been. I can't believe her companion was your sister. Such a sad story. But I know she must have been an amazing person because I think Heavenly Father has a very special place for missionaries that are taken. I'm so glad her family and your sister are dealing with it well. They are an inspiration to all of us.